Thursday, September 11, 2008

How I Play

My favorite way to play right now is to play my Native American flute. I have had the flute for about 10 years now. When I got the flute, the maker suggested that the best way to learn to play was to make friends with it. That is what I have done over the years. After a while, people started to be attracted to the sound of the flute.

There is a story of the creation of the flute that says that after the first man found the first flute, he wondered how to play it. He slept and had a dream in which he walked out in a clearing in the forest with his flute. A voice said "play the tree tops". So he started to let his eye follow the treetops playing a higher note when his eye came to a taller tree and a lower one when his eye fell on a lower treetop. This process began to feel natural after a time. After a time he followed the flights of birds or butterflies or a babbling brook and after I time he could allow his mind to wander and follow his thoughts.

That is pretty much what I do. Everything is a spontaneous reflection of my experience of the moment.

1 comment:

Wade said...
This comment has been removed by the author.